Canadian Living | Where to Find Mental Health Support in Canada
Originally published in Canadian Living on January 16, 2019 by Tara Macinnis
Even though half of us before age 40 will experience mental illness, it still faces a lot of stigma. The Mental Health Commission of Canada reports that 60 per cent of people with mental health problems won’t ask for help because they’re afraid of that stigma.
In spite of that, there are many support groups and programs available to not only help with management and recovery, but to also remind those suffering from mental health problems that they’re not alone.
Getting out of bed or out of the house can be a struggle when your mental health isn’t at its peak—and that’s what these digital tools and resources are there for.
- Not Myself Today gives employers the tools and resources to help improve the mental health of their employees, raise awareness and break down the stigma.
- Check Up From The Neck Up is working to remind us that mental health is just as important as physical health. It offers a check-up quiz to help you understand your own mental health.
- Big White Wall is an anonymous online community where you can access peer support via their chat service, self-guided courses, assessments and creative outlets like an image and word-based interface.
- Mind Your Mind uses its social media channels to distribute daily mental wellness tips. The site is packed with resources designed to help young people aged 14 to 29 take care of their mental health.
- Anxiety Canada is an online resource for those with anxiety disorders, and it also created the app MindShift to keep anxiety-coping tools at your fingertips.
- Beacon is a paid app that offers digital one-on-one support with a dedicated therapist. Using evidence-based psychotherapy (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), patients can get the help they need with treating and managing concerns like mild to moderate depression, anxiety, PTSD and panic disorders.
- Mental Health Questions You Always Wanted to Ask (Video)
- Press Release | BEACON expands digital mental health services nationwide in Canada
- Learn, Listen & lift Up: How to Support Someone Struggling with a Mental Health Concern